Thanks to the continuous technological advances, most people are able to enjoy a convenient life. Imagine life without kitchen appliances, cars, and even the phone you are using now. Imagine how you can live without electricity that gives light and power to your home and your personal gadgets.
But modern advancements also come with a price, especially in the environmental aspect. Thankfully, there have been several alternatives that aim to lessen our carbon footprints. There are also home addition companies that also offer environment-friendly home addition design and material alternatives.
Solar power: An environment-friendly energy alternative
Perhaps you have already heard about solar power. For starters, solar power naturally comes from the sun. Meanwhile, solar panels are becoming more and more popular these days especially for residential use.
If you are planning for a home remodeling addition or outdoor remodeling project, you might want to shift to solar-powered panels instead. It will be a huge step, even expensive at first. But it will be useful in the long run, and can even save you money along the way.
Solar power is not a new thing and has been around for some time now. But it was only recently when it became more accepted in many home improvement projects. As mentioned, installing a solar panel can be expensive – it can cost as a brand-new car.
But despite its high costs, more and more homeowners realize the benefits of solar panels. If you are planning to install one in your home, you can hire a home additions builder who is also familiar with solar panel installation.
What to consider before installing a solar panel
You don’t have to be an environmental activist to have a solar panel in your home. You can think of the several benefits it can give you in terms of savings. But before that, you should think about the following first before installing solar panels.
Your home should be suitable for solar installation.
You should know whether your home is suitable to have solar panels installed. But how would you know if it is okay to install solar panels in your home?
- There should be no huge trees or any structures that block direct sunlight.
- The higher your energy bills (before installing solar panels), the more savings you can get with solar power.
- You might also consider the direction your roof is facing. Some good directions should face east-west or north.
What kind of solar panel should you buy?
There are several inverters and solar panel brands available nowadays. Before you buy one, make sure you:
- Choose a reputable solar panel supplier that has been around for years.
- Get quotes from a couple of suppliers and compare them in terms of price, product quality, and other important terms.
- Consider the long run. Are you going to live in your current home for a long time, or move elsewhere after a few years?
What should you know about warranties?
Most solar panels usually come with 10, 15, and 25-year warranties. The warranties will work depending on the product’s performance and usage. Also, you should have an idea of how much solar panels cost. A good quality solar panel usually cost around $6,000 to $8,000.
A word of caution
The abovementioned questions should help you in deciding whether a solar panel installation is a right decision. Like any other things, solar power also has its set of pros and cons. First are the benefits, which are the following:
- It helps in reducing energy bills.
- It can be used for various purposes and produce electricity or heat. Global company Sharp used solar energy on their windows.
- It is low maintenance and a renewable energy source.
On the other hand, solar energy can also have its disadvantages. These include:
- It can be initially expensive including the materials and installation cost.
- The efficiency of solar panels may depend on the weather and time of the day.
- It may take a lot of space on your roof or yard.
Are solar panels the right choice for you?
Home improvement is a major decision. Deciding on a home addition design is another story. It depends on what you really need in your home. But at the end of the day, it should be something that you will benefit from in the long run.
Solar panels can help you in terms of having an environment-friendly alternative energy source. Plus, it can save you money from paying expensive energy bills in the long run. For your next home improvement project, make sure to hire professional and reliable home addition companies in DC. Contact one today!