A home remodel needs some tedious planning. For one, you need to consider your budget for the project. In addition, you need to plan for other things that will be affected by the renovation. This includes:
- Relocating your furniture and appliances
- Waste disposal and safety plan
- Checking the water lines and electrical lines that can possibly be affected
- Temporary shelter for your family in case the entire house will be renovated
Before implementing the remodeling project, you should consult a reliable home addition builder first. Home addition companies should offer affordable home additions and other services for their clients. The company should also have good feedback from previous customers. That way, you can ensure that the remodeling project will be in good hands.
Home renovation vs. home remodeling
Home renovation and home remodeling are often interchanged. After all, they sound as if they are pertaining to the same thing. For one thing, they both refer to making improvements in an existing home, apartment, or any property. However, they slightly vary on some factors.
On one hand, renovation refers to the repair of a damaged property into a better state. However, it depends on the extent of the repair needed. If it only needs a minor repair, it’s considered a renovation. But if it needs a major overhaul which can totally change its original look, it’s already considered remodeling.
Speaking of remodeling, it refers to changing or transforming the form of a certain thing. When you are planning to remodel – say, your kitchen – it means the look will totally change and will look different once the project is done.
Distinguishing the difference between the two is crucial. You need to communicate with the builder about what you want to do to your property. When you say you want to renovate your home, it means making repairs but not necessarily changing it into a different and unrecognizable one. For your home remodeling requirements, you should find the best home remodeling architects near your area.
Preparing your home for remodeling
One of the things you need to consider when planning remodeling or renovation is the timing. Experts suggest implementing the home makeover during the summer season. Here are some things you need to do in preparation for the home renovation or remodel project:
- Ensure clear and constant communication with the contractor or home additions builder especially before and during the project.
- Create a detailed timeline. It should include the estimated date and time of the renovation project.
- Instruct children and other family members to keep away from the construction area.
- Relocate your furniture, appliances, and other home décor elsewhere away from the construction area.
- Plan on keeping dust and debris from flying throughout your home.
Things to consider before remodeling your home
The thought of renovating or remodeling your home can make you feel giddy. It can be an exciting milestone as a homeowner. However, make sure to follow these reminders before deciding to overhaul your home.
Ask yourself what you really want.
It’s easy to say that you want to renovate your bathroom. But what part of the bathroom? Do you want to change the countertop, tub, or sink? Or do you want to extend the bathroom space?
You want to build another bathroom upstairs. But the question is whether you have a budget to turn that wish into reality. Likewise, you should consider other factors such as water system installation and relocation of some items near the construction area.
Know when to hire professionals.
For simple repairs like a leaky faucet, you may do the job if you are a patient and an avid DIY kind of person. But for major tasks like tearing a wall, then it’s time to call in professional help.
Home renovation and remodeling have one common goal: to make a house look better. It requires careful planning as it is considered a major project. More importantly, you should have enough budget to accomplish the project. You can choose to hire professional help or opt to do it yourself.
Here are other tips for home renovation or remodeling:
- Keep everything within budget.
- Check online for some inspiration.
- Consider the paint color your use as it can affect the overall mood of the house.
- Install full-sized mirrors to make a small room look bigger.
- Install large windows to let natural light in.
- Add plants in your bathroom and living room.
Find the best home additions builder in Washington DC today!